Sunday Night TV

TV on Sunday nights was the best! I have so many good memories of sitting in the living room of the pink house and watching TV with the family. I remember shows like Bill Cosby when he was a coach. But my favorites were Bonanza, Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color, and Kennecott Copper Theater. Kennecott Copper Corporation sponsored a movie every Sunday night. They had great movies. Instead of commercials they would show clips of things about the copper mine and the refinery. I was impressed by the size of trucks, especially the tires. They would show a man standing next to a tire and he would have to stretch to reach the top of the tire. I could not hardly imagine something that big. We would play with our trucks in the back yard and pretend that we were driving one of those huge trucks.
I remember watching a movie about a person who had the tenacity of an ant trying to move a rubber tree plant, I loved it. There was also a movie about a man who was duped into being a scout master for his girl friends son. They got into a lot of trouble when they went on a campout, but in the end everything worked out. I also remember watching Follow Me Boys, another movie about the Boy Scouts staring Fred McMurry. I honestly believe that this was where I came to love movies.
I remember sitting on the floor with a bowl of popcorn. Mom would pop it in one of her pots on the stove and we all got our own bowl. Dad loved popcorn, as long as I can remember he would sit with a big bowl on his lap and watch TV. I recall him teaching Jock to catch a popcorn cornel as he threw it to him.

2 comments:

desug said...

I was fascinated by some of your experiences. Growing up in Murray, I too remember many of those things. Particularly, the Kennecott Coppet Theatre on Sunday nights. One thing that has plagued me for years had been trying to find the title for that dramatic opening sequence music that played as the explosions went off. Any chance you might know the title for that piece? I thought it was Tchaikovski's Piano Concerto 1, but it doesn't seem to fit. I would be so grateful for that info or maybe to be pointed in a direction that might lead to an answer. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

It was from how the West was won