Grandpa Golding and Dad's Shoes



One thing that I regret is that Grandpa Golding was older when I knew him and that I did not get a chance to get to know him very well. The grandpa that I knew was an old man who was struggling with Alzheimer’s and dementia. On one occasion grandpa came to stay with us for a while. He woke up one morning and was disorientated. He did not understand what he was doing. He noticed that Dad had a pair of shoes by the back door and thought that he had gone off to work without his shoes. So grandpa decided that he had to go take them to Dad. With shoes in hand and only partially dressed, off grandpa went up the street to find Dad and to help him out. I remember following him up the street trying to convince him that it was alright and that he should come back home with me and let mom help him. Finally Mom caught up with us and together we were able to get him back home. From what I have heard Grandpa Golding was quite a good man. I do regret not being able to get to know him better.

0 comments: