My Horse Ride


Down below Robert’s house there were not any houses. Starting at Robert’s house we could go on a trail that led to the river bottoms. At the end of the trail there was a barnyard, well in reality it was a coral with some horses in it. At the side of the coral was a lean-to that covered the hay for the horses. We wanted to ride those horses something fierce, but we couldn’t figure out how to get on them, remember that we were eight years old. I came up with the idea that Robert would be on the ground and I would climb on top of the shed. Robert would then coax the horses over by the lean-to. When they got close enough I jumped on the back of one of them. I only vaguely remember what happened, all I knew was that I was air born and landed on my butt in a mud puddle. Robert laughed and laughed. He was supposed to go next but he never had the nerve. The interesting thing was that I fully expected to be able to ride around the coral on the horse. In our minds it didn’t matter that I didn’t have reins to guide the horse we were in a coral right…what could go wrong, how naïve we were.

0 comments: