Eileen's Elbow


Shortly after moving into our new house in Edgemont mom and dad were away and us kids were home alone. The lawn in the backyard had not been planted yet and dad had his tools out so that he could work on the yard, this included his wheelbarrow. This was a big heavy duty wheelbarrow that he used for work. My sisters and I had seen him give us rides around the yard in the wheelbarrow so I thought why not give my sisters a quick spin around the backyard? Eileen climbed in and off we went. I was about 9 which would have made her about 5 – 6. She was so small that for her to be able to see she held herself up by hanging her arms over the side. Well, the wheelbarrow proved a bit harder to control than I had anticipated and before I know it we crashed dumping Eileen out, trapping her arm under the edge of the wheelbarrow breaking it at the elbow. We didn’t want to get into trouble so when mom and dad came home we told them that she fell down breaking her elbow. Mom took her to the emergency room to get it set and in a cast. They got home and Eileen was lying on the couch when there was a knock at the door. We answered and found two policemen who wanted to speak with mom and dad (they seemed huge in their uniforms and I was scared to death). Apparently the ER doctor didn’t buy mom’s explanation about how Eileen broke her elbow because that particular kind of break is usually associated with child abuse so he contacted the police to follow-up. Needless to say dad did not take too kindly to having the police show up at his door because we had lied to him. Yea, I got a whoopin… (I deserved it too)

0 comments: