Playing in the Park


Cousins are awesome. At least ours were. Some of my most fun memories growing up involve my cousins. I recall a time while living in the white house in Spanish Fork that Aunt Joy came to visit and we took a picnic lunch to the park and we played and played. The swings were so fun. We would see how high we could get with the dream of going so high that we would go all the way around. We would get as high as we could then jump out and have competitions to see who could jump the farthest. We’d draw a line in the sand marking the best jump and try to better the mark. In addition to the swings the park had a huge slide. It was one of those big all metal slides that had a hump half way down. We would stand on the platform at the top and wind up swinging back and forth on the bar a couple of times to build momentum and launch ourselves down the slide often barely making contact with the slide until we were almost past the hump in the middle. 

I now wonder how we survived “playing” in the park! Well, we almost survived. On this occasion when it was time to go we were all heading for  the car, that is all except for Lois who wanted to go down the slide one more time… I didn’t see what happened but I understand as she went to launch herself down the slide she slipped and fell from the top of the slide breaking her arm. The doctor’s office was just down the street so while mom took her to the doctor to get her arm set and put into a cast we all got to play some more. Needless to say Aunt Joy didn’t let us back on the slide. This was the first time that one of us broke a bone and we all had fun signing her cast. I went on to break my arm, wrist and collar bone and of course there was the time I broke Eileen’s elbow, but that’s another story.

0 comments: