Trip to Mexico


In Junior High I took two years of Spanish. As I look back I realize that I was a terrible student. I had the basics of the language but never really applied myself to really learn how to speak well. Mrs. Finlayson who happened to live in our neighborhood, was my teacher. At the end of the second year Spanish students from across Utah had the opportunity to take a week-long trip to Mexico. I was able to talk my parents into sending me. I was over the moon with excitement.

I was the only one from our school going which meant that I didn’t know anyone except for Mrs. Finlayson. The Monday after school was out for the summer we met the bus at a rest stop on I15. Yes, we rode a bus all the way to Guadalajara Mexico but I didn’t care it was such an adventure.

The first day we stopped in Hermosillo. As we were entering Hermosillo we saw some little kids standing along the roadside holding these huge lizards that they had caught and were trying to get us to stop and buy them. I was amazed at how different it was from Utah. I recall all of the warm and friendly people that we met who were so welcoming and wanted us to enjoy our visit.

The second day we stopped in Mazatlan. Our hotel was right on the beach and this was the first time that I had seen the ocean. My roommate and I got up early the next morning, put on our swim suits and headed to the beach. It was early so no one was there and we had the whole beach to ourselves. I was beyond thrilled to actually swim in the ocean. As we were about to dive in the waves this old man came running up to us and told us that we could not swim there. We didn’t fully understand what he was saying but he made himself very clear that he wouldn’t let us get in the water. Reluctantly we just walked along the beach picking up a few shells then went back to the hotel. As we walked in the front door we were met by the desk clerk who was shocked at seeing us in our swim suits and she explained to us that there was a huge sign that said “No Swimming – Extreme Undertows” We had walked right past the sign and had no clue.

The next day we went to Guadalajara where we were placed with families who welcomed us into their homes and let us see what it was like living as a family in Mexico. The family that I stayed with were really cool. I recall that after dinner we sat around the kitchen table and talked and they got out a guitar and taught us some songs. It was really fun. As I look back I now realize that they were actually quite an affluent family and there was an entire different class of families in Guadalajara but this family couldn’t have been more welcoming to us.

Our next stop was Mexico City. We spent several days in and around Mexico City. I was fascinated with Teotihuacan or the Mayan Temple of the Sun. I couldn’t believe that I was actually walking in the same location that the Mayans had so long ago. I recall being struck in awe of the stories of
sacrifices and actually seeing where it was performed. I loved Mexico City! It was the biggest city I had ever seen and I was actually there. We went to the bazaars where I haggled for a few souvenirs for the first time in my life, I thought I was pretty shrewd until I realized that the little statue I bought was not authentic but a cheap replica that was in almost every other shop in the bazaar.

I recall being impressed when they took us to see where the Olympic Games had been held in Mexico City. I think we were supposed to be seeing the University but to me it was all about the Olympics. I had watched the Olympics on TV and can still remember Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising their fists in the air while standing on the winner’s podium and I was there. Even today when I see pictures of Mexico City I recognize places that I visited.

We rode a train from Mexico City to the US border. This was my first time on a train and I really had a great time. I made my way to the very back to the caboose and sat on the platform watching the countryside fly by. I was totally enthralled by the vast empty desert landscape. From the border we again took a bus back home.

As I look back at my 14 year old self and this trip I believe that this was the beginning of my wanderlust that has propelled me to live and travel all around the world. I’ve actually lived on every continent except for South America and of course Antarctica. Writing about this experience was quite fun as I have thought about things that I have not thought of for years.

0 comments: